Subject Re: [firebird-support] charset question
Author James
Hi Helen.
Helen Borrie wrote:

>At 01:27 PM 12/12/2003 +0100, you wrote:
>

>>>Character set NONE doesn't support
>>>2-byte characters.
>>>

>>What kind of "support" would you expect ?
>>I think that Firebird does not care at all what you store in NONE field
>>

>That's quite true - it will *store* anything. But it doesn't provide any
>decoding.
>

>>(except of padding of CHAR field; but it should work for Multi Byte
>>Character Sets (i.e. varaible width), like GB_2312)
>>

>I haven't tried to store Chinese characters, but NONE accepts UNICODE text
>in non-Roman characters happily and then throws transliteration/overflow
>errors on outputs and searches...that's what I meant by "doesn't support".

I will try your suggestion in your first reply. You have mention about
decoding ... when you say decoding ... what does it do? What's bothering
me is the excel can be view correctly under english windows system using
a CJK viewer but on chinese windows it appears to be garbage. Is this
the decoding you're mentioning?

Thanks

James