Subject Re: [firebird-support] Multiple DBMS Access to single GDB files
Author Daniel Rail
Hi,

At December 11, 2003, 11:55, Tim Ledgerwood wrote:

> He would like to install the DBMS software on several machines.

> Each DBMS engine looks at the same database (in IB/FB terms, the GDB file)
> file over the network.

> Is there any sense in doing this?

I could say maybe for clustering. But, I'm not even sure which schema
will be used to implement it in Firebird(it is talked about for FB 2.0
Classic, but as usually not definite).

> Can one do it with IB/FB?

Not at the present time.

> Should one do this? (IMHO, NO, DEFINITELY NOT!)

No, and if I'm not mistaken, a Firebird server can't access a database
file that is on another physical server/machine. And, if someone would
make the necessary change in the source, just to be able to access a
remote file, that person would be asking for database corruption. Even
MS-SQL doesn't allow multiple servers to access the same database
file, unless it is properly setup in a real server cluster.

--
Best regards,
Daniel Rail