Subject RE: [ib-support] Re: database backup
Author Helen Borrie
At 05:37 PM 26-09-02 +1000, you wrote:
>I have a question to the use of the t flag.
>What is it for?
>I backup on win2k without the t flag and I can restore it on a linux
>(RH7.1) both with IB6.5 without error.
>However I can't use the t flag to create a backup suitable for
>restoring to an win95 / IB5 system.
>The db is dialect 1, so i cant see why it should be a problem...

It's a problem because the IB 5 server can't recognise the backup of the
higher on-disk structure (ODS). IB 6.x has ODS 10 or more whereas IB 5 can
handle ODS 9 or lower.

IOW, you can take a backed-up -t(ransportable) ODS 9 database and restore
it to ODS 10, but you can't take a backed-up ODS 10 database and restore it
to ODS 9.

helen