Subject Re: [ib-support] MySQL vs Firebird - the slow decay
Author Jaume Andreu Sabater Malondra
On Tuesday 24 September 2002 10:19, Martijn Tonies wrote:

> > I like MySQL. I love Firebird. I resent that more and more I am
> > having to justify to myself why I am using Firebird more than I use
> > MySQL. I resent that more and more I am gravitating towards MySQL
> > because it is not giving me reasons to stay with Firebird.
>
> Referential integrity and other constraints.
> Subselects
> Unions
> Triggers

That is exactly what I was going to point here. Unfortunately, Martijn did it
first. Fortunately, I read the whole thread before answering. :-)

Don't you, Andrew, think this is enough? I really do believe so. As stated on
a previous thread in this list, I can implement a new security layer in my
web apps by having all these features, which could never be done with MySQL
features. It's just an example. Also, Firebird comes from Interbase, and
Interbase has been used for a lot of years on business, which represents an
assurance of quality.

Anyway, I also feel like you when everybody talks about MySQL on press (not
only Linux, but mostly) and forget about Firebird. But I think it's our
fault, our duty to make it known (this is GPL). I always try to convince my
friends and coleagues about leaving MySQL and using Firebird, or just about
using Firebird, and the greatest barrier I always find is that there are tons
of MySQL documentation over there, which is true.

Nevertheless, the new Linux distribution called Gentoo, adopted Firebird as
its standar RBDMS, which is good news ;-)

--
Jaume Andreu Sabater Malondra
jsabater@...

"Ubi sapientas ibi libertas"