Subject Re: [ib-support] Longevity of firebird / Interbase
Author Thomas Miller
I understand your concerns. I have been thinking about dropping FB
support myself.

The engine is great. I believe the engine will be around for a long
time. Data access is
somewhat proprietary. There isn't an open ODBC, JDBC, OLE DB, or dbExpress
driver. (Yes I am going to get flamed).

Once these drivers are complete and /*very */stable, you are going to
have one hell of a
database that will be around for a long time. These are some commercial
ones available,
but you don't know if they are going to be around for ever or not. Open
source
will be.

Your issues with Quick Reports is different. It was good and
propriatary. This is
a best of breed product that is open source.

Now that there is a dbExpress driver in development, we plan on sticking
with
Firebird with the hope that all the drivers mentioned above eventually
get developed
as open source.