Subject Re: [ib-support] firebird on linux users?
Author Jaume Andreu Sabater Malondra
On Friday 30 August 2002 17:29, Martijn Tonies wrote:

> If it only was that easy ... No offence to anyone, but by looking at the

I know, I know :-)

> free
> tools currently available - you see why mine (and others) aren't free.
> There's
> a lot of time (years) and money invested in those tools. Hey, if you're
> building
> a database for your work, and you have a timesaver on your hands, $179 is
> not a lot!!

I agree completely. In fact, I am a "Linux guy" (I mean, a "Linux only guy"
:-D), I strongly believe in GPL and that sort of stuff, but if I were you I
would be charging for it too.

Well, I would charge to companies and let it be freeware for users if I were
you (keeping that way the source with you - you know, "may the source be with
you" :-D), since you are completely right about that "179$ will make your
company save a lot of time, and time costs money".

In fact, the last company where I worked was about to buy a license of you
product because of my recommendation, but the idea went down to drain when we
(my boss and me) had to deal with the one who pays the bills. :-(

On the other hand, for instance, the project I am currently developing will be
offered for free under the GPL. I will tell you (all you guys here, and
ladies of course :-) when it's finished - which will happen in about three
months - since it's plenty of Php code using a Firebird database (also plenty
of triggers, stored procedures, foreign keys, and that sort of things): very
instructive and also a lot of time invested here (please, take no offence for
this sentence, Martijn: everyone's free to decide for himself :-).

By the way, after finishing this project, I would like to have a look at
Kylix... It will bring my Delphi/C++ Builder for Windows days back to my mind
:-DDDDD

--
Jaume Andreu Sabater Malondra
jsabater@...