Subject Re: [ib-support] Controlling updates to the same record by 2 users
Author Jason Chapman (JAC2)
In IBX You have an explicit transaction for each dataset. You can either:
1) using another query in the same Transaction and attempt to do a non data
changing update, this gives you a pessimistic lock on the record. This is
fine if the chance of hitting cancel (i.e. not electing to save your
changes) is very low. e.g. update tbl set somefield = somefield where PK =
:pk. This will stop another user from making any changes to the record.
2) You can let the user attempt to make the update, when the go to post the
changes you will get an update conflict.

The important thing here is that the transaction that is used to get the
data that the user sees is the same transaction that is used to update the
data, this guarantees that either the data has not been changed by another
user or your update will fail.

HIH
Jason Chapman
JAC2 Consultancy

Training - Development - Consultancy
Delphi, InterBase, Firebird, OOAD, Development lifecycle assistance,
Troubleshooting projects, QA.....
www: When I get round to it....
Mob: (+44) 07966 211 959 (preferred)
Tel: (+44) 01928 751088