Subject Re: [ib-support] Web server?
Author Paul Schmidt
On 8 Jul 2002 at 10:28, lester@... wrote:

> > If you are using Delphi, look at doing a WebBroker application to
> > provide DB access. Many books have details of this in them.
>
> Builder based, slowly switching to Kylix.
>
> WebBroker has not impresed me but I have not done much with
> it. PHP approach is looking the most flexible so far, as I
> don't fancy a £2000 bill for JBuilder just to get the useful
> java stuff and Quanta+ seems to be doing a good job so far
> with the php stuff.
>
> The bottom line is that there are simply too many options to
> check out, all with pros and cons, and only so many hours in
> the day. I'd still prefer dedecated secure programs but the
> customer is always right - even if they don't know what they
> want <g>

I have found an interesting point, when dealing with customers, the amount of
knowledge the customer has is always inversely porportional to that amount of
decision making he/she wants to do. I have always wondered why companies will
hire a $150 an hour consultant, and then treat him like a 2nd year college
programming student..... Most customers who know enough to make platform
decisions, also know enough to let the professional do his job.

People have this idea that anything web related has to be written cross platform,
they don't seem to get the idea that run time cross platform ability only has to apply
to the client side, it doesn't have to apply to the server side, unless you have
alternating servers on different platforms. In fact some good well tuned C++ or
Delphi/Kylix code makes the server itself more efficient then requiring a run time
interpreter running on the server.

Paul Schmidt, President
Tricat Technologies
paul@...