Subject Re: [ib-support] InterBase 6.0 to Firebird 1.0
Author Paul Reeves
William L. Thomson Jr. wrote:
> Paul,
> I sent this first to the IB-Conversions list and then IB-Support
> list, but no one has responded yet. :( If you have a moment, the
> questions below are nothing special. I would love to get your input
> on the them, if you have time.

Apart from giving you the warm fuzzies there isn't a lot to say, which
probably explains why no-one replied. Moving from InterBase to Firebird
is normal and occurs without incident.

In the present instance Firebird 1.0 is just like any newer version of
InterBase. You are backing up the database first, (a normal procedure
when upgrading from one version of InterBase to another). It is also
good practice to do a test install first, before going to a production
environment.

> To begin with when I remove InterBase and install Firebird, is there any
> hick-ups I should be aware of. Or should I be able to simple remove one,
> install the other, and then go?

That is about it. I'd do a search for extraneous copies of gds32.dll
that may be lying around on the server. Just in case.

> Can I still use my existing InterClient 2.0 installation, or do I need
> one specific for Firebird. If there is such a thing.

There is an updated InterClient available that has some bug-fixes, so I
would recommend that as a matter of course. See the Firebird downloads
page on sourceforge.

> I am seeing something about a Firebird JDBC driver, is it better than
> InterClient. Is it more native to Firebird, I would assume it would be?

It isn't more 'native', however it is under active development. Worth
taking a look.

Paul
--

Paul Reeves