Subject Re: [ib-support] Corrupted DB and more errors
Author Jason Chapman (JAC2)
Now since I knew about the problems with sweeps in IB 5.x (They have been
fixed in >= 5.6) I have never done them whilst users are in. I have set up
schedules where I:
1) Stop the IB Service
2) Do an OS Copy
3) Rename GDB
4) Start IB Service
5) Sweep DB
6) Rename GDB back to operational filename

Because of my paranoia over sweeps I have production DB's that do not get
swept ever, it does mean that I do a backup and restore every few months,
pretty much in the same way as I have described above.

The above mechanism stops Fred (no not Fred Wilson), from going on holiday
for a month, leaving his PC on hogging a transaction for a month, stopping
garbage collection etc.

I think you need to completely disable sweeps for a month and see if there
are any corruptions in that period. At a sire of mine, they regularly have
a couple of million difference between oldest and oldest active transaction
and performance is only damaged slightly. You really need to see if it is
happening at the point the sweep kicks in, by eliminating the sweep.

In answer to your questions, sweep should not affect operation in terms of
anything other than speed, i.e. the server can slow dramatically during a
sweep. The concept of doing a sweep at x tx's apart is barmy, unless it has
no noticeable effect on the user, which sweep clearly does. I understand
why it was done on a x tx apart (deploy, bill, relax), but to do it at a
known low usage point would be much better (e.g. have an algorithm of a
dynamic low water mark on load and when it is at its lowest, then do the
sweep). [I know, if I don't like it I should change it :-)].

JAC