Subject Re: [ib-support] IB Indeces etc zero or one based
Author Helen Borrie
At 01:31 PM 11-06-02 +0000, you wrote:
>An error message returns a reference to "RDB$INDEX_2"
>
>Are IB indeces zero based, i.e., the above message
>refers to the 3rd index or does it refer to the
>actual 2nd index.
>
>...and what criteria are used to base other types
>of count/index values?
>
>As a Delphi programmer, I find it confusing to try
>to remember which values are zero based and which
>are one based.
>
>I think IB is in 'C,' so are they all zero based?

They are arbitrary - you should consider them based on nothing in
particular and certainly not rely on their names in ANY code. If you need
to refer to indexes, create them using your own names for them. These RDB$
names will not survive a backup and restore. During a restore, indexes are
completely recreated from metadata and "system-named" ones will be assigned
arbitrary new names.

heLen

All for Open and Open for All
Firebird Open SQL Database · http://firebirdsql.org ·