Subject Re: cannot attach services manager, but...
Author zifnabbe
--- In ib-support@y..., Helen Borrie <helebor@t...> wrote:
> I had written:
>

> > > Is this a IB 5.x (ODS 9) database that you are trying to connect
> >to? If
> > > so, you won't be able to use the API Services with it until you
> >upgrade it
> > > (the database) to ODS 10 (gbak -b on v.5.x server, gbak -r on
> >Firebird).
>
> At 01:20 PM 29-05-02 +0000, you wrote:
>

> >no, I'm running the latest Firebird (I just installed the database!
> >http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/firebird/Firebird-1.0.0.796-
> >Win32.exe)
> >I'm totally lost at the moment.
>
> I said ODS 9 --database--. Firebird SERVER will CREATE a database
in ODS
> 10, but it will OPEN an existing ODS 9 database (i.e. one which was
created
> in IB 5.x). So, if you created your database in IB 5 then it is an
ODS 9
> database until you convert it...and the Services API is not
available to an
> ODS 9 database.
>
> Could you explain exactly what you are attempting to do, right down
to the
> tool you are using.

Sure, I'm using the personal edition of IBExpert. I've extracted all
the metadata from an existing Firebird beta release, and recreated
the database with this metadata. So, I asume I'm having an ODS 10
database (for what stands ODS?).

I've installed the Firebird server on a Server NT.
Created the users in the isc4.gdb with the help of gsec.
Put that newly created database (see above) in a directory \databases
relative under a custom directory of firebird.
(ie I eg installed firebird on d:\MyTests\MyDatabase\ and put the
database in d:\MyTests\MyDatabase\Databases\thedatabase.gdb)
Then I on a Win2000.
Then I installed IBExpert.
Then I tested the connection.

TCP/IP on port 3050 and gds_db return OK
NetBui returns also OK

Then I tested to connect to the database and I get the following
error:

---

Attempting to connect to:

Connecting... Passed!
Server version: WI-V6.2.794 Firebird 1.0

Attempting to connect to services manager...
Connecting... Failed!
------------------------------------
Unsuccessful execution caused by an unavailable resource.
Cannot attach to services manager.
---

So it connects to the database, but has problems connecting to the
service manager.

If I look on the services in the NT Server, then I see that the
guardian is active

Do you need more information?

Thanks in advance,
Tom.