Subject Re: [ib-support] Any ideas
Author Jason Chapman (JAC2)
If the investigation into this produces a bug, i.e. badly written client
code can corrupt a DB, then it is going to be important to trace. Never
calling a commit / rollback should never cause a problem, happens all the
time when apps die.

What language is the app written in?
What OS?
How complicated?

If it's Delphi & API Direct, I'ld be more than happy to take a look in my
spare time. Although I would imaging business specific confidentiality
maybe a problem for you and I might take a while to get the "spare" time.

Anyway, don't get rid of the version that breaks IB, not even to change the
connection string.

Good Luck,

JAC

""Wilson, Fred"" <fred.wilson@...> wrote in message
> Yup, we've been able to repeat it "on demand".. We haven't looked deeply
> into it to see what happens to the application (it's only one of 'em) when
> it "goes west", but we know how to provoke it and we know that there was
> some badly written code that's in the wrapper layer around the API
interface
> that was coded.
> Right now, we're trying to get a release ready to go, so we're more
> interested in getting the bug fixed (which we did) than tracing through,
> trying to find out exactly what the application did after the "incident".
> Later, I can look through the app and see what it was doing.
> What it was doing, in the Commit method, was, if the commit() failed, it
was
> setting the transaction handle to NULL. I suspect that the application
> is/was still attempting to use it somewhere. The Rollback method,
basically
> was never getting called, or I should say, would never work (after a
> Commit() failed), as one of the first checks in the Rollback() method is
> check for a NULL transaction handle. This, of course, produced a
> transaction gap, but, as I mentioned, we haven't followed it further to
see
> what else was going on. We fixed this bug and have now continued on,
looking
> for a couple of more things.
> Like I mentioned, the corruption is 100% reproducable.
>
> Best,
> Fred Wilson
> SE, Bell & Howell
> fred.wilson@...