Subject Re: [ib-support] Supercharged Firebird group?
Author Pavel Cisar
Dimitry,

On 4 Oct 2002 at 9:31, Dimitry Sibiryakov wrote:

> From my point of view situation with Yaffil is not far from the
> situation with IB6.5. Is somebody going to take some actions against
> Borland? I very doubt.

No, it's completely different. Borland is the copyright holder for
InterBase, so they can use the original code (the IB Open Edition is not
the original code of IB Server Edition, there is licensing and other
stuff missing in IB OE) and licence it as they see fit for their
business. But anyone who use IB OE as a start is bound to IPL. Of course,
Borland can't take changes made by others to IPLed code and close it in
their commercial version, but they don't do that at all (officially).
It's a US company and are very careful to not get sued or even go in the
gray zone of law.

Best regards
Pavel Cisar
http://www.ibphoenix.com