Subject Re: [ib-support] Re: Firebird 1.0.0 and SQL Dialect 3
Author Mark O'Donohue
Hi Sean

Leyne, Sean wrote:

>Well, Firebrd v0.9-4 used a version srting of "6.0.0", but v1.0 uses a
>string of "v1.0.0" so that explains why you didn't have any problems
>with the older version. The version string is compiled into the server
>there isn't anything you can 'change' or setup.

I don't think thats correct. As far as Im aware fb 0.9-4 reports a
version string of 0.9.4 aka:

medusa1:~> /opt/interbase/bin/isql
Use CONNECT or CREATE DATABASE to specify a database
SQL> show version;
ISQL Version: LI-T0.9.4.34 (p1) Firebird Test1
SQL>

medusa1:~> /opt/interbase/bin/isql -z
ISQL Version: LI-T0.9.4.34 (p1) Firebird Test1
Use CONNECT or CREATE DATABASE to specify a database

Certainly for the linux version this is the case.

Originally we had a tourturous voting and debating system to determine
the next number (1.0.0 won) not by a lot, but by enough. (Personally I
was keen on a 6.x in part for these reasons), but was happy to go with
the "group decision'.

As Sean mentioned this is a problem and we need to address it, and a 6.x
release would certainly solve some of these issues in a nice and simple
way.

Cheers

Mark

--