Subject Re: [ib-support] Re: New Firebird Release 1.0.0 Beta2 Available
Author Mark O'Donohue
Lee Brown wrote:

>Linux on the other hand has helped push the Open Source initiative - great for developers on the leading edge, but at the expense of the end-user I think.

The thing with linux is the developers are the end-users, which is why
all the techo/research stuff got there first, but the techo/research
people also want to play their dvd's and read their word documents as
well, and business has started using linux (its a simple cost thing both
for supplier hp etc and user) so it's getting there.

Personally I get much better support for linux than I ever got from
microsoft (and I was in some big projects), and microsoft has a dozen
operating systems as well.

My opinion, is linux now is as ready for the user market as windows has
ever been (remember windows has real problems too, just think registry
and trying to install upgrades or dll versions, reinstall after hard
disk failure etc).

Linux became ready for the desktop with the office equivalents like
staroffice - I never use word/excel anymore. Windows which I run now
only on a vmware version is only for testing.

But linux just doesn't have market share - yet.

:-).

Cheers

Mark