Subject RE: [ib-support] Re: New Firebird Release 1.0.0 Beta2 Available
Author Lee Brown
First off, thanks for the link. I didn't know this effort was going on.
Good news.

I think your point regarding the hands-on availability is a good one and yes
it makes
it easier to fix things yourself -- provided you have the skills or have the
skills in-house.

Consider the case where I'm a small business, my IT dept knows how to
install OS's, but doesn't
have the expertese to modify them. If I'm running a windows platform, I can
easily find somebody
conversant with whatever version I have. Now admittedly the
componentization makes it more difficult,
but even that is usually pretty fixed too. With a Linux system that has
been modified, my outsourced
personel could have a much worse time of it trying to figure their way
through the customizations. OK,
it's a bit of a self-defeating argument and personally I think it's actually
pretty equal on both sides.

Yeah, sorry for the "Linux variants" I should really be referring to all of
them
as GNU-Linux (the kernel is different, but most of the other pieces are
typically
always GNU implementations.)

Returning to the old trend (yes I do remember those days!) I'm looking
forward to
the days when the OS can microcode the CPU so it doesn't matter who's
CPU you want to run on or what OS you want to run. But in the end it always
seems to come down to (usability * performance) which unfortunately tends
to drive the market to writing an OS for a CPU. The only example I can
think
of actually is Visual Age (software, but same principal) -- great idea, but
when
I first tried it back in 96 it was totally unusable unless you had the
latest hardware
because it was windowing on top of windowing; OK I could write one
application
and deploy it on many platforms (sound familiar), but that flexibility
(usability
in the above formula) was simply outweighed by the fact it was too slow
(performance).

Linux seems to moving from the back end toward the desktop from what I've
observed.
McDonalds in the US has just signed a whole bunch of linux machines for some
restraunts
to connect to a central site and Ford Europe has done something similar.
Dell has
decided not to put GNU-Linux on the desktop. But it is coming, that's for
sure.

Regards,
Lee Brown