Subject Re: [ib-support] Re: Slow first 'Query'
Author Paul Reeves
Phil Shrimpton wrote:

> On Wednesday 01 August 2001 00:52, you wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> > I'm confused! I thought you said that you were running on a machine
> > with 32mb of RAM?
>
> I tried it on a 32Mb machine and the disk went crazy during the 'first
> query', but with no network traffic. On the 'real' machine, there seams to
> be very little disk access.
>
> > WRT the cache allocation, yes, I would suspect that the cache is not
> > allocated until the database is opened --the first connection is opened.
>
> It must be something else then as 'connection' happens very quickly, but the
> the first thing you do takes forever, after that everything is fine. I have
> tried in on another setup (SS on W2K) and it is the same as my machine (CS on
> Linux).
>
> It is not that bigger issue, but as it happens on every database on every
> setup I have done, I am just interested in what its doing, and if I am
> missing a config setting somewhere?

How many buffers have you allocated in the IB_CONFIG file? This is a
server wide value. And how many buffers do you have allocated at
database level? You can use gstat to check this. If you see:

Page buffers 0

then either the default is used (varies, but is 256, I think, for v6) or
the server wide value in ib_config is used, if set.

The point I am getting at is that a large value (>10k) may be somewhat
detrimental to performance.

Paul
--

Paul Reeves