Subject Re: [ib-support] Backups
Author Helen Borrie
At 03:22 PM 12-05-01 -0600, you wrote:
>How do I do a backup on a Windows system? On Linux I'm using system() to
>execute the gbak program. I would like to do the same on Windows but it has
>a command line maximum length of something tiny like 256 characters so the
>command gets truncated. Ideally it would be nice if gbak had an option to
>get its params from a file. Something like "gbak @filename" would be cool.
>Failing that, anyone know of a way around the short command line length on
>Windows?

Normally, it's done using a .bat file.

A gotcha with ib 6 apparently is that passing the username and password as options in the gbak command is broken. There was a thread somewhere, earlier in the week, but I can't find it. I can't find the reference in Firebird's bug track, either, so perhaps someone could re-post... I've got ib6/FB off my system at the moment to do 5.6 work, so can't test whether a connect call in the .bat file, preceding the gbak call, makes things work OK in 6/FB.

Helen

All for Open and Open for All