Subject Re: [ib-support] UDF inserting rows in a database...
Author Ann W. Harrison
At 02:49 PM 5/12/2001 -0300, Carlos H. Cantu wrote:
>I need to call an UDF to parse every field in a table, extracting the words
>in every field value and storing that words in another table in the same
>database. Is this possible ? Any better way to do the same thing ?

Yes, it's possible, but I'm not convinced that it's wise. That
really sounds like a program more than a UDF. You might do it
as a stored procedure / UDF combination. The stored procedure
reads the data, sending each field to the UDF. The UDF returns
the first word in the string, plus the rest of the string. The
procedure stores the first bit, then calls the UDF with the
remainder until the UDF returns an empty string, then moves on
to the next field.

Or is that not what you had in mind?

Regards,

Ann