Subject Re: [ib-support] Domains
Author Ann W. Harrison
At 01:41 AM 5/7/2001 -0300, Andrew S. Vaz wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>... I noticed almost a
>thousand domains that were created, I presume one for each field.
>
>How does the amount of domains have a significant impact on the speed of
>Interbase?

Not at all.

>Is it better to define all the possible domains and use them repeatedly in
>order to optimize speed?

If done well, it will make maintaining the database easier - if done
badly, it will make maintaining the database impossible. In either
case, it should have no effect on performance. Those definitions, and
those in RDB$RELATIONS and RDB$RELATION_FIELDS are compiled and cached
on first reference.

Regards,

Ann
www.ibphoenix.com