Subject Re: [ib-support] How to do CTRL characters in an IB string literal?
Author Helen Borrie
I dunno whether this adds anything to it, but at one time long ago I was setting up a number of formats in a table for outputting to external files. I posted a question on the mers list which Bill Karwin answered, and it worked.

My question was: how can I get Carriage Return and Line Feed into the last two 1-byte columns of my table?

Bill answered that the only way he knew was to cut and paste the actual characters from a text file format that could display them. (Used to be Ctrl-M and Ctrl-J on the old DOS keyboards). I seem to recall that one way to "print" them so that they could be copied was to create an rtf file in Word with all the non-printable characters turned on and actually type Ctrl-M and Ctrl-J. I think they need a space between them in Word to prevent it from converting the two bytes to Ctrl-T (¶). (btw, I got that character by typing Alt-20...doesn't seem to work for Alt-13 (?) or Alt-10 (?) in my mail client though.)

H.