Subject Re: [ib-support] How to do CTRL characters in an IB string literal?
Author Ann W. Harrison
At 09:28 PM 5/1/2001 -0700, Jason Wharton wrote:

>Ann, you misunderstood what I am getting at.

Perhaps, but I don't think so.

>In Delphi source code the actual presence of a CTRL-M (line feed) is
>considered white space by the compiler. Therefore, if you want to add a CRLF
>to a string so that the string contains those characters you type it like
>this:
>
> MyDelphiString := 'some text'#13#10;

Yes. and that requires knowing that a) a string value is not necessarily
terminated by the quotation marks around it, and b) that the hash mark
is an escape character that precedes numeric characters that should be
interpreted as their integer value. C has something similar, but it
goes within the quotes.

However, SQL (to the best of my knowledge) does not. I am loath to
plunge into that particular quagmire without some clue how other
systems handle the problem.

Regards,

Ann
www.ibphoenix.com