Subject Re: [ib-support] CHARSET/COLLATES and Portuguese
Author Ann W. Harrison

Dave Schnepper's site: www.brookstonesystems.com.

>AWH> You could certainly define a collation sequence that uses
>AWH> fewer bytes if you were prepared to sacrifice some behavior.
>
>Ann, can you exemplify some of the sacrificied behaviors ?

Well, if you were satisfied with a collation based on binary
representations of characters (as I am) your keys will be
the same size as your strings. Each feature you add (J & j
sorting near each other, accents, special space characters) adds
something. Case adds one bit per character, rounded to the
nearest byte. Accents add more.

Regards,

Ann
www.ibphoenix.com