Subject Re: Again: can't install fdb
Author skoczian
--- In firebird-python@yahoogroups.com, Philippe Makowski wrote:

> 2013/1/8 skoczian
>
> > **
> > Yes, but why? The Firebird bin directory is in the path (and it's the
> > first entry there), _and_ the dll is in \windows\system32. Instclient.exe
> > puts it there with the name all uppercase ("FBCLIENT.DLL"), but that
> > shouldn't matter with Windows, should it?
> >
> > may be a bug in ctypes.util.find_library
> cf (
> http://grokbase.com/t/python/python-bugs-list/12akm2rs91/issue16283-ctypes-util-find-library-does-not-find-all-dlls-anymore
> )

Looks exactly right and would explain why I got the problem now, after changing to Python 3.3.

> so try :
> from ctypes import *
> from ctypes.util import find_library
>
> fb_library_name = find_library('fbclient.dll')

That finds the .dll, either the instance in firebird_2_5\bin or that in the windows system directory. Thank you! So should I change the find_library call in ibase.py to include the extension? Still a hack, but not quite so bad?

Greetings
Sibylle