Subject Re: [firebird-php] Firebird 1.5.6 + PHP 5.4.20 + i7 Haswell processor Linux 64 bit
Author Lester Caine
On 16/06/14 15:58, Sakhile Njoko sakhinjoko@... [firebird-php]
wrote:
> I was using Firebird 2.5 and PHP 5.2 on Ubuntu 11.04 (x64) and untile
> recently PHP 5.5 on Ubuntu 14.04 (x64). The first problem was
> ibase_blob_echo since I was on Ubuntu 11.04. It worked in some cases but
> not in others even though everything was the same in all the
> applications. And I am not talking about different different databases.
> In same database, ibase_blob_echo would work on one table but not on
> another. Anyway, all that I have done since I changed to postgres is
> change "ibase" to "pg" and obviously file importing and exporting
> methods. Everything works perfectly in all my applications. I am just
> mentioning this to show that it was not the code. The issue was with
> ibase_blob_echo (or file importing, which I doubt as file size in the
> database was the same as the file size before importing). The second
> problem, which was the ultimate killer, was that after I upgraded to
> Ubuntu 14.04 there was no Firebird extension for the latest PHP version.
> So as I said, I really love Firebird but the PHP support for it was
> poor. I guess I could have gotten involved somehow in helping solve the
> extension issue by but I had no clue where to start with
> ibase_blob_echo. Moving to postgres started as a testing exercise but it
> just was too easy and the wholesale migration became a no-brainer
> because of its simplicity.
>
> I will continue using Firebird as an embedded database in some
> applications as there are no issues there.

There WAS a blob problem with PHP5.1, which was finally fixed in 5.1.6,
but I've used ADOdb as a wrapper since day one simply because we do need
to work cross database on many sites. That takes care of any problems
I've seen and a large volume of the data is stored in blobs without
finding a problem, so I wonder if the problem is with Ubuntu's
packaging? But as a quick scan I'm not sure I ever hit ibase_blob_echo,
which my be why I've not seen a problem ... ADOdb only uses
ibase_blob_get ( well fbird_blob_get ) to get data in chunks.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL