Subject Re: [firebird-php] Firebird 1.5.6 + PHP 5.4.20 + i7 Haswell processor Linux 64 bit
Author marius adrian popa
Without a stack strace for each case  is hard to find what is the issue

also php5-interbase extension is in ubuntu 14.04

On Mon, Jun 16, 2014 at 5:58 PM, Sakhile Njoko sakhinjoko@... [firebird-php] <firebird-php@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

I was using Firebird 2.5 and PHP 5.2 on Ubuntu 11.04 (x64) and untile recently PHP 5.5 on Ubuntu 14.04 (x64). The first problem was ibase_blob_echo since I was on Ubuntu 11.04. It worked in some cases but not in others even though everything was the same in all the applications. And I am not talking about different different databases. In same database, ibase_blob_echo would work on one table but not on another. Anyway, all that I have done since I changed to postgres is change "ibase" to "pg" and obviously file importing and exporting methods. Everything works perfectly in all my applications. I am just mentioning this to show that it was not the code. The issue was with ibase_blob_echo (or file importing, which I doubt as file size in the database was the same as the file size before importing). The second problem, which was the ultimate killer, was that after I upgraded to Ubuntu 14.04 there was no Firebird extension for the latest PHP version. So as I said, I really love Firebird but the PHP support for it was poor. I guess I could have gotten involved somehow in helping solve the extension issue by but I had no clue where to start with ibase_blob_echo. Moving to postgres started as a testing exercise but it just was too easy and the wholesale migration became a no-brainer because of its simplicity.

I will continue using Firebird as an embedded database in some applications as there are no issues there.

Sakhi

On Monday, 16 June 2014, 11:46, "Lester Caine lester@... [firebird-php]" <firebird-php@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

On 16/06/14 10:27, Sakhile Njoko sakhinjoko@... [firebird-php]
wrote:
> Thanks Masotti for trying to help. I ended up migrating to postgres.
> Everything is working well so far. It was the toughest decision because
> I truly love firebird but php support for firebird is quite poor.
> Unfortunately, php is critical in my applications.

Sakhile - I'm not able to say why your performance is so bad. It's not
something I've ever seen myself, and all I have used with PHP is
Firebird. While I am still using FB1.5 on some sites, I've had little
trouble with that legacy code accessing FB2.1 servers and I suspect
something other than 'PHP' is actually at the back of your problems. The
software that is tying you to FB1.5 WILL need to be replaced at some
point if only because of hardware failure but I understand the pressure
from users who do not accept changes. Some of my sites are still using
W2k because it works ...

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL