Subject Re: [firebird-php] PHP Driver status
Author Lester Caine
Giovanni Premuda wrote:
> Milan Babuskov wrote:
>>> fbclient.dll and gds32.dll certainly do not depend on the CRT
>> version of
>>> the application, they dont' even depend on the application using a C
>>> Runtime Library.
>> Erm, fbclient in Firebird 2.1 does. Please see firebird-devel archives.
>>
>> To quote the most recent message on the issue by Alan McDonald:
>>
>> "All FB 2.1 binaries requires MSVC8 run-time dlls on *any* OS."
>>
>> Obviously, he meant, any _Microsoft_ OS ;)
> I'm not really interested in that kind of OSes any more :) so i failed
> to see this new requirement.
> And I still think it's an ugly hack, even though it is an
> institutionalized ugly hack.
> Is this dependency necessary? It looks like it severely limits the
> possible uses of fbclient.dll.
> Once upon a time CRTs were linked statically ...

While this is relevant to the discussion here, it's probably only on the SF
developers list (firebird-devel@...) that it can be
addressed? In any case I do not seem to be having a problem as long as the
right libraries are available. The client can still be accessed via older
windows applications.

I've still got an outstanding question about building a client that will run
on W98SE. Only the client so that it can continue to access a system where the
server has had to be upgraded. I've not ad time to convert all of the display
software to work via a browser - and what is done on those machines - since
the pages need to be 'pushed' - is not practical using a browser anyway :(

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL