Subject Re: [Firebird-Java] Re: OpenOffice, Jaybird and Embedded Server
Author mariuz
On Sat, Dec 17, 2011 at 08:29:49PM +0100, Roman Rokytskyy wrote:
> > OT: Personally I think that Jaybird / Firebird / Firebird embedded is
> > the way to go for LibreOffice instead of the very limited SQLite. The
> > ability to upscale from a single file application to a client/server
> > one is a killer.
>
> This will work only when the JNI part is statically linked with
> Firebird Embedded and the embedded engine would be able to work without
> the config file and FIREBIRD env variable. In this case that would mean
> only to copy one DLL somewhere on the path, that would be enough. That
> requires Firebird to be statically linkable, which, AFAIK, is not
> possible at the moment.

I think for linux at least i see that damyan on perl driver is loading fbembed
for tests so the full server is not necessarily anymore if you want to run the
tests and don't want the full server but i think he creates a lib that does
the magic.
So in theory is possible to add the embedded client to your dependencies and
all should be ok

> Maybe you can raise the issue on the firebird-devel list. I did ask
> this question few years ago, but it did not get any support. Also, at
> that time, creating SDBC drivers for OO was a better approach
> considering it was more feature rich. So, the native driver option has
> to be evaluated now as well.
>
> Anyway, both approaches would win if Firebird is statically linkable,
> since it would simplify installing the Firebird when it needs to be
> wrapped by some C++ code.

All c++ code can be static linked so my guess is it must be done but there is
a need for someone to work on it , something like libfbembedstatic target
please add it to the jira tracker as request for new target