Subject Re: Encoding JayBird on Linux
Author hugo.larson
--- In Firebird-Java@yahoogroups.com, Roman Rokytskyy <roman@...> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > I have an application which I initially developed on Windows with
> > Firebird 1.5.3 enconding NONE, JayBird 2.1
> > Now I have poeted it to Linux (Ubuntu) and all is fine except problem
> > with the Swedish letters ÅÄÖ. The letters display correctly in Windows
> > environment bot NOT in Linux.
> >
> > Any ideas?
>
> Almost certainly your Linux has different code page compared to the
> Windows box. This is controlled by the $LANG and/or $LC_CTYPE
> environment variables and very often *nixes have it set to ANSI_C...
>
> If you can't tune those environment variables, set the following
> connection properties:
>
> encoding=NONE
> charSet=WIN1254
>
> You can do this also in JDBC URL:

jdbc:firebirdsql:localhost/3050:/path/to/db.fdb?encoding=NONE&charSet=WIN1254

> But the best way is to go away from NONE.
>
> Roman

Hi Roman

Thanks for your reply!
I changed the local to Swedish and the variables are changed but it
did not work.
I tried to connect with:
jdbc:firebirdsql:localhost/3050:/path/to/db.fdb?encoding=NONE&charSet=WIN1252
but the connection was behaving strange and wont show table content.

Is not WINxxxx Windows specific character set or does it also work
under linux?

Thanks,
Hugo