Subject Re: [Firebird-Java] Another code that worked in 1.5.5 and no more in 2.0.1 ... closing a ResultSet
Author William L. Thomson Jr.
On Mon, 2006-04-03 at 17:46 +0200, Roman Rokytskyy wrote:

> So, as it was already posted on this list many times, in Jaybird 2.1 we will
> include connection propery that will allow to specify the type, concurrency
> and holdability of the default result set (the one you create by
> Connection.createStatement() method).

Will this be a temp or permanent solution? Seems like it should be a
temp one till OO addresses the known issue. Does not seem like
functionality should exist that goes against the standard specification.

> Why didn't we include this in 2.0? The answer is simple - nobody complained
> loudly, and those that found their system to be incompatible with JDBC 3.0
> decided to rather fix the system to be specification compatible than to
> require a workaround. However, already after 2.0 release it was discovered
> that OpenOffice 2.0 has problems too, and since we want OpenOffice beginners
> to use Firebird, we will add such workaround.

The workaroud will be need to fix the implementation specific issues, in
the current OO. If the OO developers resolve that. Then will there be
any need or use to the workaround?

Other than for people migrating from older versions of JayBird. In which
case their apps do not conform to the standard. Since they are relying
on using a non standard "implementation" feature. Seems like in those
cases best to break the app, so it can be modified to conform with
stadards.

--
Sincerely,
William L. Thomson Jr.