Subject Re: [Firebird-Java] Geronimo database pool wizard
Author David Jencks
I spent a little time trying to get the rar to work and decided the
porlet architecture in geronimo trunk was a bit too brittle to make
this easy to do. The portlet in the 1.1 branch is somewhat better
but I think there are still problems with it. IIRC the problem is
that the portlet only works with j2ca 1.5 ra.xml whereas jaybird is
still using j2ca 1.0.

One advantage of moving to j2ca 1.5 is that the adapter can
eliminate most connection pool leaks by implementing IIRC
DissociatableManagedConnection.... the ConnectionManager can then
disconnect unclosed handles and they can be garbage collected if the
app doesn't keep a reference to them. Doing this would prevent rar
use on j2ee 1.3 app servers, but I don't know if anyone is still
using anything that old. Is there interest in moving to j2ca 1.5?

For g 1.1 branch and the jaybird Driver it should be possible to just
add a gbean configuring the info for the driver.

thanks
david jencks