Subject RE: [Firebird-Java] Re: JayBird: Problems with Prepared Statements
Author Rick Debay
I vote for keeping it vendor specific. I access all vendor stuff within
wrappers anyway.

Rick DeBay

-----Original Message-----
From: Firebird-Java@yahoogroups.com
[mailto:Firebird-Java@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Roman Rokytskyy
Sent: Tuesday, September 06, 2005 11:42 AM
To: Firebird-Java@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [Firebird-Java] Re: JayBird: Problems with Prepared
Statements

> So you basically mean that it is better, from the standardization
> point of view, to use the driver's vendor-specific extenstions to get
> a String representation for an SQL statement, instead of providing an
> implementation for that with the toString() method?

Yes, since there is no agreement among JDBC driver vendors on this
issue. If you use vendor specific extension, you know what you are
doing, there are no conflicts caused by different semantics, etc. If
later this issue is covered in the JDBC specification, we can easily
adapt to the change, which will not be the case if suddenly the
specification decides to define some other meaning for toString()
method.

That is my only reasoning, but finally you (I mean the group, all
JayBird
users) decide what should be in the driver.

Roman

http://us.click.yahoo.com/T8sf5C/tzNLAA/TtwFAA/saFolB/TM