Subject Re: [Firebird-Java] Multiple connections to embedded Firebird
Author Jim Starkey
Helen Borrie wrote:

> At 11:51 AM 23/12/2004 -0600, you wrote:
>

> >My understanding is that embedded Firebird does not support multiple
> >concurrent connections.
>
> Well, yes, it does. The embedded server is just a Superserver. Like the
> "full" server, it opens the database file when the first attachment is
> made
> and locks the file exclusively. That means no other server can access
> it.
> It doesn't mean you can't make multiple connections to it.

Helen, we need to work on nomenclature. A beast that executes database
commands against a file is called a database engine. A program that
listens to a network and calls an engine is called a server. One can
make a callable server, but embedded isn't one.

The Vulcan world is about layering and encapsulation. The server,
Y-valve, engine, and remote interbase are all separate beasts. They are
designed, however, for form a friendly play-group.

> >Is this the case? If so, should Jaybird throw an exception when multiple
> >connections to the same database file are opened?
>
> No. On the other hand, you're likely get AVs if you try to multi-thread a
> connection.

I haven't tried embedded, but it should be thread safe. At least it
better be because a number of the servers are multi-threaded.

--

Jim Starkey
Netfrastructure, Inc.