Subject RE: [Firebird-Java] setSelectableProcedure(true)
Author Marc Batchelor
Just a suggestion. I wrote a cross-database repository (supporting DB2 UDB,
DB2 iSeries, Oracle 8i/9i, and MSSQL 2k by using the following design:

a- A super class (called the "StdRepository") which had 90% of the code in
it. It had statics defined for all the stored procedure calls in the form of
"protected static String GETREPORTS", and an initializer that would
initialize them like: GETREPORTS = "{call GETREPORTS(?)}";

b- For MSSQL and DB2, I could return resultsets with no problem like this.
But for Oracle, I needed to have them be stored functions, not stored
procedures. So, the overridden initializer for Oracle used GETREPORTS="{? =
call GETREPORTS(?)}";

c- With Oracle, you have to register the output parameter before you submit
the call. So, the superclass defined a method called setupStmt looks like
this:

protected void setupStmt(CallableStatement stmt) throws SQLException{
// do nothing...
}

In Oracle though, it looks like this:

protected void setupStmt(CallableStatement stmt) throws SQLException{
stmt.registerOutParameter(1, oracle.jdbc.OracleTypes.CURSOR);
}

d- This works fine, except that the parameter numbers differ between the two
calls. This was mitigated by a variable called offset. The offset was 1 for
Oracle, and 0 for MSSQL/DB2. So, the StdRepository was able to bind
parameters using x+offset notation.

d- Getting the resultset is also different between these because in Oracle.
So, the superclass defined a processQuery method as follows:

protected ResultSet processQuery(CallableStatement stmt)
throws SQLException{
// Simply return executeQuery in the super class. This is
// the default behavior.
return stmt.executeQuery();
}

In Oracle though, it looks like this:

protected ResultSet processQuery(CallableStatement stmt) throws
SQLException{
// Returns the output parameter which is the resultset.
stmt.execute();
return (ResultSet)stmt.getObject(1);
}

To put this all together, the code in stdrepository would look like this for
any particular call:

public Collection getGetReports(String aParm) throws SQLException{
Collection rtn = null;
Connection con = Repository.getConnection();
try {
CallableStatement stmt = con.prepareCall(GETREPORTS);
try {
setupStmt(stmt);
stmt.setString(1+offset, aParm);
ResultSet rs = processQuery(stmt);
try {
rtn = new ArrayList();
long tmpInt;
while (rs.next()) {
tmpInt = rs.getInt(1);
rtn.add(new Integer(tmpInt));
}
} finally {
rs.close();
}
} finally {
stmt.close();
}
} finally {
con.close();
}
return rtn;
}

My subclasses for DB2 were necessary because of how blobs get handled. My
Oracle subclass has some blob handling stuff in it as well.

But the bottom line - my StdRepository has 4500+ line of code in it. The
Oracle-specific subclass has only 140 lines of code, and the DB2-specific
subclass has only 210 lines of code.

This is easily adaptable to what you want to do with regards to Firebird, or
any other database.

I hope this helps.

Marc