Subject RE: [Firebird-Java] IBconsole concurrency problem with Java GUI
Author Diamond, Edward
Thanks for the insight. I just needed to hit the refresh button at the
bottom of the table-view dialog to see the updates/inserts.

Edward Diamond
Engineer, Water Resources
DWR Bay-Delta Office
(916) 653-4603
ediamond@...

-----Original Message-----
From: Ryan Baldwin [mailto:ryan.baldwin@...]
Sent: Friday, October 03, 2003 10:14 AM
To: Firebird-Java@yahoogroups.com
Subject: RE: [Firebird-Java] IBconsole concurrency problem with Java GUI

Hi,

>I have found that if 1 or more users ar using the GUI and IBconsole is
connected to the DB, the GUI
>updates/inserts to the DB are not posted.

Its probable that the data is being inserted OK but that IBConsole is
not re-starting the transaction that it is using to read the data. With
certian isolation levels each transaction has a snapshot of the database
as it existed when the transaction began and cannot see updates and
inserts done by other transactions.

I assume that it is IBConsole that you are using to check to see if the
data has been inserted. Perhaps try to close down and then re-open
IBConsole as this will ensure that the transaction its using is
re-started. This way you could confirm that the data is being entered.
Their is a commit transaction button somwhere in IBConsole but I have
found this doesent seem to work reliably all the time - but in theory
you should be able to use this to re-start the transaction being used to
read the data so as not to have to re-start IBConsole.

>Is this a problem with IBconsole (i.e. should I be using another tool
for doing DB administration on Firebird) or
>with the GUI? As you have probably guessed by now, I'm new to Firebird
and Java, though not to database
>programming

You could check out http://www.ibexpert.com/. There is a free version of
this also.

If this doesent help then a little more infomation about what your
doing, perhaps with some code snipets - what you expect too see and what
you are seeing would help to look for other possible problems.

Ryan

I am running Firebird 1.5RC4 on Win2kPro and have a Java GUI
for data entry. I have found that if 1 or more users are using the GUI
and IBconsole is connected to the DB, the GUI updates/inserts to the DB
are not posted. I have tried this with both version 1.0.0 and 1.1.0 of
IBconsole. Is this a problem with IBconsole (i.e. should I be using
another tool for doing DB administration on Firebird) or with the GUI?
As you have probably guessed by now, I'm new to Firebird and Java,
though not to database programming.

Edward Diamond
Engineer, Water Resources
DWR Bay-Delta Office