Subject RE: [Firebird-Java] IBconsole concurrency problem with Java GUI
Author Ryan Baldwin
Hi,

>I have found that if 1 or more users ar using the GUI and IBconsole is
connected to the DB, the GUI
>updates/inserts to the DB are not posted.

Its probable that the data is being inserted OK but that IBConsole is not
re-starting the transaction that it is using to read the data. With certian
isolation levels each transaction has a snapshot of the database as it
existed when the transaction began and cannot see updates and inserts done
by other transactions.

I assume that it is IBConsole that you are using to check to see if the data
has been inserted. Perhaps try to close down and then re-open IBConsole as
this will ensure that the transaction its using is re-started. This way you
could confirm that the data is being entered. Their is a commit transaction
button somwhere in IBConsole but I have found this doesent seem to work
reliably all the time - but in theory you should be able to use this to
re-start the transaction being used to read the data so as not to have to
re-start IBConsole.

>Is this a problem with IBconsole (i.e. should I be using another tool for
doing DB administration on Firebird) or
>with the GUI? As you have probably guessed by now, I'm new to Firebird and
Java, though not to database
>programming

You could check out http://www.ibexpert.com/. There is a free version of
this also.

If this doesent help then a little more infomation about what your doing,
perhaps with some code snipets - what you expect too see and what you are
seeing would help to look for other possible problems.

Ryan

I am running Firebird 1.5RC4 on Win2kPro and have a Java GUI for
data entry. I have found that if 1 or more users are using the GUI and
IBconsole is connected to the DB, the GUI updates/inserts to the DB are not
posted. I have tried this with both version 1.0.0 and 1.1.0 of IBconsole.
Is this a problem with IBconsole (i.e. should I be using another tool for
doing DB administration on Firebird) or with the GUI? As you have probably
guessed by now, I'm new to Firebird and Java, though not to database
programming.

Edward Diamond
Engineer, Water Resources
DWR Bay-Delta Office