Subject RE: [Firebird-Java] Re: Java and Embedded Firbird.
Author Ryan Baldwin
Hello

>I have never used firebird and it has been an absolute nightmare to
>get going. The whole concept of getting a jdbc connection without
>actually having a database to connect to is making me go insane. With
>Hypersonic you at least know that if the database doesn't exist the
>jdbc drivers will create it if it can't get a connection. This isn't
>the case with firebird is it? If it is, how come it doesn't work?

If your new too firebird you may be better off getting started with the full
firebird server and Jaybird 1.0.1. Once you are up and running with these
switching to the embedded database should be fairly easy - and a straight
forward procedure to explain.

You can download an installer for firebird at
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=9028 - look under the
firebird-win32 heading near the bottom of the page. For 1.5 the latest
installer seems to be Firebird-1.5.0.3744-RC4-Win32.exe.

While their you can download FirebirdSQL-1.0.1.zip from under the
firebird-jca-jdbc-driver heading. Inside this zip file is faq.html. This is
a good starting point for jaybird documentation. Under items 6 and 43 are
some code examples. As far as im aware jaybird will not create a database
automaticly. Item 33 in the FAQ explains how to create a database via
jaybird.

Documentation for firebird is as far as im aware fairly patchy/incomplete -
http://firebird.sourceforge.net/ and http://www.ibphoenix.com/ may be good
places to start looking for whats available.

Hope this helps.

Ryan

I have never used firebird and it has been an absolute nightmare to
get going. The whole concept of getting a jdbc connection without
actually having a database to connect to is making me go insane. With
Hypersonic you at least know that if the database doesn't exist the
jdbc drivers will create it if it can't get a connection. This isn't
the case with firebird is it? If it is, how come it doesn't work?

When it comes to firebird documentation is absolutely zero. This is
something that has to change if it is to compete with other databases
out there.

Throw me a bone here guys and for the love of god post some code a
sample project that uses embedded firebird and java.

--- In Firebird-Java@yahoogroups.com, "Ryan Baldwin"
<ryan.baldwin@n...> wrote:
> Hello
>
> >how the heck do I use it?
>
> Usage is almost identical to jaybird in type4(normal) mode. The database
> file used is the same as the database file used by the standard
server. The
> most important difference is that a only one process can access a
database
> file at any time when using the embedded database to access that file.
>
> The differences between using jaybird in its 'normal' type 4 mode
and using
> jaybird with the embedded server are described in 'brief usage
instructions'
> which 'The archive contains'.
>

> >Can you post a simple sample code?
>
> There is plenty of this around - even in recent posts in this forum.
> Checkout the FAQ included in the standard jaybird driver
distribution too.

http://developer.java.sun.com/developer/onlineTraining/Database/JDBCShortCou

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/