Subject RE: [IB-Java] Logging interface
Author Paulo Gaspar
Thanks Thomas,

The Lumberjack helped to compile the JDK1.4 wrapper.
=:o)

Ok, here goes the basic logging stuff I use. Some facts:

- It is really simple stuff. I have another couple of
classes (another AbstractLoggable and so) but they would
probably just get on your way;

- It is just a modified version of the Avalon wrappers. I
only added a couple of classes and changed a bit the
existing code (changing the order of some parameters in
the process. You can find Avalon from:
http://jakarta.apache.org/avalon/
You can get most of this stuff in its original form from
Jakarta's "jakarta-avalon" CVS repository, package
org.apache.avalon.framework.logger

- It provides a common interface to these loggers:
- Avalon's LogKit
http://jakarta.apache.org/avalon/logkit/index.html

- Log4J
http://jakarta.apache.org/log4j/docs/index.html

- JSR47 (JDK1.4) (can be via Lumberjack)
http://javalogging.sourceforge.net/

- You still have to configure the original logging system
before wrapping it. What this does is allowing to change
the logger you use just by changing your initialization
code. If you stick to using the ILogger and ILoggable
interfaces for the rest of the code (where you do the
actual logging) that always remains the same.

For further questions, just mail me.

Have fun,
Paulo Gaspar