Subject Re: [Firebird-general] pro&contra
Author Ann W. Harrison
Aage Johansen wrote:
> At work, some are advocating a migration from Firebird to Sybase (yeech!).
> Could someone here provide a list of arguments for not migrating?

Well, the first one that I can think of is MVCC - moving to lock-based
concurrency management could be a real nuisance. Triggers may be
another problem ... the last time I looked (not recent) Sybase
triggers didn't cascade. Stored procedure syntax and semantics
will be a problem.

Any time you've spent tuning queries will be lost. Sybase can't use
multiple indexes on a single record source in a query, so you'll
probably need to rethink your indexing strategy.

And of course, there are the usual arguments against migration in
general. A) It works now, why waste time moving it rather than
improving it or other things? B) We have in-house expertise. And
the open source argument that you're not spending money on licenses.

Besides, we'd miss you.

Cheers,

Ann