Subject Re: [Firebird-general] Firebird corrupts databases more often?
Author Helen Borrie
At 09:04 PM 16/01/2004 +0700, you wrote:
>First of all, a forward apology. Do not mean to turn any rock that
>shouldn't been turned. But this post from Tom Lane is a bit
>discomforting for me:
>
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2004-01/msg00681.php

This is an interesting misconstruction by Tom Lane:
"Likely. I can tell you that Ann Harrison once told me she made a decent
amount of money as a consultant fixing broken Interbase/Firebird
database files. It would be hard to make a living in the same game for
Postgres. Now I don't think that Firebird is any buggier than Postgres.
But it comes in an embedded-library form; I'll bet lunch that most of
those data corruption problems were actually induced by crashes of
surrounding applications."

I hope Ann follows that up with Tom Lane. Whatever causes Firebird
corruptions, databases are pretty safe from "surrounding applications"
unless of course those applications pass bad data and/or the database
design is intrinsically flawed. Then you're not looking at structural
corruption, only GIGO.

>Ann, what is the most common causes of IB/FB database corruption from
>your experience:
>
>1. running on Win9x;
>2. threadedness;
>3. embedded (application fault);
>4. older versions of IB;

Hopefully Ann will give you some numbers on the above but none of them,
other than and overflowing the 2Gb file limit on Win98, has ever crossed my
threshold as a recognised source of corruption...

>Is CS on Linux (or even Windows) the way to go for maximum reliability?

CS does have the advantage of isolating *any* problems in a single process
- there is no threaded server process to crash. But from the point of view
of corruption, no difference. User-initiated crashes don't as a rule
corrupt databases, beyond leaving some bits and pieces orphaned that will
need to be cleared out. It's very hard to corrupt a Firebird database but,
if you're determined to, you can.

fwiw, known sources of corruption (meaning busted databases that need
tweezers and Lysol to repair) are:

- users logging into the database and doing operations during a gbak -r
(gbak -r = freefall skydiving)
- systems without no UPS, running with forced writes off
- pre-1.5 systems running on Windows with forced writes off generally (esp.
those that are 24/7)
- inconsistent path strings on Windows (now made impossible in Firebird SS
but possible in CS and a strong incentive to use aliases in all situations)
- running filesystem backups, filecopying, disk compression and other
little toys that lock disk sectors while users have pending work
- keeping the database running on a disk with an increasing tally of bad
sectors
- overflowing the file limit anywhere there is one; or running out of disk
space.
- deleting secondary files
- changing data object attributes by performing DML operations on the
system tables
- working with databases that were transported as file copies or zip files
made when the database was active
- deleting sort files (not common, and shouldn't happen, but I have seen it)

Notice, these are all things that are initiated by poor system control and
DBA ignorance. Databases are otherwise quite self-healing.

fwiw
Helen