Subject Re: [Firebird-general] Fwd: Use of the name "Firebird"
Author Paul Reeves
On Tuesday 16 December 2003 16:41, Robert (Jamie) Munro wrote:
> The Mozilla foundation has a lot more money than the Firebird
> foundataion.

Yes, but they have a lot less now that AOL have pulled the plug.

> They both have similar aims (develop open source
> software). Why don't we offer to change our name for a good faith
> donation.

Let's talk figures - how much would be enough?

> We'd also get a chance to relaunce ourselves again with our new name,
> making at least some publicity. All the people who said "I'll never use
> your database because you ..." would have to reconsider, and they will
> rediscover us, and maybe even convert to us from MySQL.

Publicity is the last thing we need, imo. We already have a strong user
base and the user base is growing. The growth is organic and is a pace
that the community can handle. Changing our name now would set us back
considerably and I'd put the cost at more than Mozilla could afford.
Anyway, after being 'beaten up' by Borland, we are not going to let
ourselves get pushed around by anyone. We picked the Firebird name before
Mozilla and that the rest is history.

Paul
--
Paul Reeves