Subject Re: [IBDI] About IBX and Firebird
Author David Cornelius
Jason,

That is one thing I've seen and heard a lot--they're just like the BDE components.  I've used the BDE for Paradox tables, but never for IB--I jumped into that just a couple of years ago using IBX from the start.  Sure, the BDE hides a lot of the details and supposedly makes the underlying db transparent, but IB databases and apps can and should be designed far different than Paradox databases and apps, so there's still a bit of a paradigm shift.

Thanks for your response.  I will focus on what I'm familiar with.  (And hope for a more complete help file some day. ;-)

David Cornelius

>>> jwharton@... 04/12/02 12:51PM >>>
David,

The best way to get into IBO is to simply use the components on the
iboTDataset tab of your component pallette. These are nearly identical to
the Data Access components TDatabase, TQuery, TTable, TUpdateSQL, etc. All
of the documentation that Borland provides for them and that you will find a
wealth of in 3rd party books directly applies to these components. These
also have some extra properties and such but they can be totally ignored.
The defaults are designed to work just as the BDE components did. This is
why people can take a BDE/InterBase application and convert it over to IBO
in mere minutes.

PLEASE, don't be overwhelmed because there are options there. If their usage
to you isn't intuitive simply ignore them. When the need for what it does
comes into view it will click in your mind and you will naturally be on your
way.

Jason Wharton
CPS - Mesa AZ
http://www.ibobjects.com