Subject RE: [IBDI] Syntax Highlighter in IBConsole...
Author Claudio Valderrama C.

Strange, strange, can you check the list that you wrote? I don't see ROLE
mentioned. Make sure ACTION, ADMIN, CASCADE, FREE_IT, RESTRICT & ROLE are
listed. They come from IB5!

From IB6: COLUMN, TYPE, EXTRACT, YEAR, MONTH, DAY, HOUR, MINUTE, SECOND,
WEEKDAY, YEARDAY, TIME, TIMESTAMP, CURRENT_DATE, CURRENT_TIME &
CURRENT_TIMESTAMP.

I think that you should display an open mind and include the IB6.5 keywords.
The ones I remember are TIES, ROWS & PERCENT.

The FB keywords are:
CURRENT_USER (SQL alias for USER), CURRENT_ROLE, SUBSTRING, RECREATE,
DESCRIPTOR, FIRST (it always was a keyword in GDML) & SKIP. There are two
more that I don't know what to suggest:
- DEBUG: reserved word in all versions, it only has real effect on a
debugging version. It activates (at least in Win32) a command-prompt-like
R/O display with internal information. It has nothing to do with being able
to debug interactively, of course.
- BREAK: deprecated. It's a failed experiment mine. At first glance, it
seemed to work. Later, I discovered some changes to the core executor (done
after Jim) that seem to make a little nightmare to cater for all
combinations where you can put a BREAK. Put a couple of loops and the engine
doesn't crash, but stops the request with a daunting message (request sync
error).

Also, there are some keywords that maybe we might want to deprecate in the
future.

Finally, some names are resolved dynamically, hence you can reuse them in
field names without clasing. I don't know if you want to try them as
keywords: TEXT, BLR, ACL, RANGES, SUMMARY, FORMAT, TRANSACTION_DESCRIPTION &
EXTERNAL_FILE_DESCRIPTION.

Realistically, you only will use TEXT in
field blob sub_type TEXT
because the other types are internal, so you may want to mark TEXT as a
keyword. However, it's legal to do
text blob sub_type text
and I don't know if SynEdit is so clever to highlight TEXT only after
sub_type keyword.

> Also does anyone have a name for this new FireBird version of IBConsole?
> FBSQL Manager or Chief Executive Officer or Minion :-).

DF_Manager, of course. Dale loves FB and I heard that he has a big poster of
Ann & Jim in his office.
:-)

Minion is more for fanatics that want to please their master. I propose
FBConsole, so it's clear it's a clone of the other thing. And in the About
you give credits to whoever is doing IBC and whoever should be given credits
and acknowledgments legally.

> I working on this temporarily because I find it really annoying that
> Jeff Overcash refuses to share the latest source code with FireBird.

Jeff cannot hold the changed sources forever if he publishes new binaries.
Probably he's waiting for a stable release to do so, nothing more. I don't
think he wants to hide the new sources. IBC is subject to the IPL, too. He
won't want to violate the licence that governs the SW open sourced by his
beloved master, unless he argues that being controlled by Borland, the
licence has a fine print (like the ability to not publish the sources for
the new commercial IB, for example). But IBC is not being made by Borland
itself neither there are announced plans to create two versions of it. Just
wait.

C.
---------
Claudio Valderrama C.
Ingeniero en Informática - Consultor independiente
http://www.cvalde.com - http://www.firebirdSQL.org