Subject Re: [IBDI] Re: Just a marketing suggestion for FB1.0 CD
Author Robert F. Tulloch
rogervellacott wrote:

> It stands for something. It doesn't need to symbolise anything. But
> if you must...
>
> Fire - because it's hot (pronounced "hat" I think in America).
> bird - because it flies.

Wrong. In America, hot is "hot".

Firebird was chosen because of the Phoenix analogy not because
it is "hot" database that really "flies". The choice was founded
in and sustained by the turmoil with Borland. I would not use a
database because it is "hot" and really "flies". Being free is
a significant factor for which we can thank Borland.

Fire(hot) + bird(it flies) is on par with:

DatasetDemon; DD

RowRocket; RR

FireBase; FB

an endless list can be had I am sure.

So someone should think up a more meaningful name for this fine
effort.