Subject Re: [IBDI] The sore state of our lists
Author Paul Schmidt
On 19 Feb 2002, at 14:49, lester@... wrote:

> > As you can see, different people start ideas alike but abandon them
> > afterwards. And regarding that "FB Front End Tool", maybe it would
> > be better to cooperate with an effort already running like IBAccess
> > than to start another tool from scratch.
>
> I tend to agree, but the problem seems to be that there are
> several 'camps' and we are not pooling our resources. IB_SQL
> from IBO now has most of the bits I was using Marathon for,
> but I still think there is a fundamental discussion point in
> the area of ALIASES - sort off - where we need some common
> ground on identifying what is available on a machine once we
> have identified that Firebird is running. I use the term
> ALIASES but what I have been doing is creating a 'system'
> database where I can check what other data should be
> available. It's a quick way of identifying version numbers
> of data out in the field, but this would seem to be a target
> area for any front end system or management tool - an
> extension to isc4.gdb or a replacement <g>

This is true, personally I think that aliases should be handled like
most other databases, and that is from the engine, whether it's part
of the engine, that's another matter for debate.

> Do we actually have a central repository of data, it seems
> rather spread at the moment. That is not a problem, but the
> cross links seem rather random.

I think the problem is that, like a lot of places, people start doing
their own thing, but nobody ever seems to decide to pull them all
together. Perhaps some folks could put a working group together
just to find where all the stuff is, and then pull it all together into a
nice neat package, with policies to deal with new stuff that comes
along.

Paul
Paul Schmidt
Tricat Technologies