Subject Re: [IBDI] Re: Firebird Logo Suggestion
Author Paul Reeves
markus.soell@... wrote:

> > (maybe you could avoid the "evil" word with the (R) by a
> >description like
> > "giving IB wings" :-) heck, i must sound like a marketing guy...)
> >

> Here you are wrong, Frank. It would be a big error if Firebird would
> consider InterBase as an enemy and try to avoid to mention InterBase.
> InterBase has a certain user base and the Firebird community must
> welcome these users and offer them it's support. InterBase as the
> origin of Firebird is therefore worth to be mentioned. There is a
> simple and even somewhat natural relationship between InterBase and
> Firebird and it's important to communicate this, rather than hide it.

Let me jump in here. Whatever the politics are, whatever our feelings, we cannot
blithely mention the name InterBase in the same sentence as Firebird without
breaking the IPL. It states very clearly that derivative works must not be
promoted by the use of the registered trademark 'InterBase'.

There is nothing much to stop anyone saying there is a connection, but when we
come to arrange for Firebird to be distributed on a Linux distro, for example,
we cannot make this obvious connection. Otherwise Borland's lawyers will be
writing to the likes of RedHat etc, forcing them to withdraw the CD's they have
pressed (at the very least).

Paul
--

Paul Reeves