Subject RE: [IBDI] Re: Comments on IBDI article I just posted...
Author Kaputnik
Although I don't completely agree to Jim, I think, the article is too long.
It has a very good topic, and is well written, but I had really problems to
force myself reading it completely.

The analogy is not bad at all, but you should point out your goals more
clear and shorten things a bit up.
I for myself wouldn't like anything more than to merge the Borland and the
Firebird-source-trees together. It is a shame to have a splitted community
at all, and Interbase as a database is doing nothing than loosing in this
constellation. Many potential users are either confused or scared off by
having two different COMPETING products based on one source.

I think, that open source Interbase could've made it to the linux-standard
in all dirstributions, and with having an PHP-module, also could've replaced
mySQL at many ISP's. Until now, the user-base of Interbase/Firebird didn't
grow significantly, and by far not enough since december '99. Taking a look
at the message-count on the mers-list, it seems, that a lot of users are
perhaps ex-interbase users now, as the number of messages is sinking
steadily.

CU, and happy coding,
Kaputnik
(Nick Josipovic)