Subject Re: [IBDI] IB & Windows ME
Author Ann Harrison
At 09:19 PM 10/8/2000 +0000, Lawrence Green wrote:
>Is this just me, or is someone else having this problem.
>Ever since installing Windows ME, Interbase takes 10 to 15 minutes to
>start inialize, ether from IB SQL or from within a Delphi
>Application. The first draw to the database take 10 to 15 minutes.
>Anyone know anything about this?

Not from first hand experience, but you are not the first person
to complain about the situation... err... problem. Having
stifled my first inclination which is to ask, "why Windows ME,
do you have a death wish?", let me ask, "Do you have any idea
whether the problem is CPU overload, or disk?"

It's vaguely possible that Windows ME makes incremental memory
allocation very expensive - InterBase does a lot of that in
initializing the server. The other possibility, really slow
I/O would probably cripple the uSoft products... though it may
be that the relatively small reads (1K-8K) are pessimized.

Regards,

ann