Subject Re: [Firebird-Architect] One way to scale Firebird put it on memory virtual disk or ramfs
Author Thomas Steinmaurer
Jim,

> Dalton, that is so much nonsense. NuoDB is an existence proof that your
> assertion is false.
>
> There are lots of ways to make distributed transactions ACID without
> queries being run "atomically upon multiple systems." I demonstrated
> one, but stopped looking after that. The inquisitive mind may want to
> keep looking.
>
> Every time some says something like "The only way to ..." innovation is
> trampled. If I had believed that "the only way to implement consistent
> transactions is two phase locking" MVCC, Interbase, and Firebird
> wouldn't exist.
>
> Programmers have learned count "zero, one, two, infinity". There is
> never only one way to do something. There are the ways you know and the
> ways you haven't thought of. If you stop looking, you'll never find them.
>
> There are many people who believe that all of the good ideas have been
> discovered. They're wrong.

Hope you don't mind two questions on NuoDB:

* Is NuoDB fully solving the CAP theorem for distributed environments?
Or e.g. is it eventually consistent when reading data?

* How does the asynchronous replication approach (if I got that right?)
in NuoDB with the nature of synchronous JDBC calls, e.g. executeUpdate
blocks until it's finished etc.

Thanks,
Thomas